A small but mighty team based in Bristol, we want to contribute by designing ‘Positive Products™’.
We have worked hard over the last 13 years to build a strong reputation for delivering successful products and a customer base to match. Our customers range from exciting well funded start-ups or established but ambitious SMEs, to large corporations with innovative technologies. Working in the UK and globally, our projects take us everywhere (quite literally).
We are open, honest and collaborative in our approach to design, with each other and our clients. Often we ‘become’ part of our customer’s design team and that flexibility is a must for the role.
Design can be hard, but should also be fun. So whilst we’re incredibly serious about our work, we’re just as serious about remaining lighthearted and being a welcoming, tight team, that laughs together and empowers each other to grow. Everyone works across projects and closely with different members of the team. This ensures we’re constantly honing our skills and that there is never a dull day in the office!
Most importantly, sustainable and responsible design is core to our mission, and we’ve developed a set of decision-making tools throughout the product design process to help our customers make simpler and easier decisions. This is an evolving toolset and we would like you to bring your own ideas and knowledge to help develop it further.
We’re based at Temple Studios, in the heart of the vibrant city of Bristol, right next door to Bristol Temple Meads Station.
With business in a good place and new customers coming on board, we are looking for a Senior Product Design who will take ownership, lead projects, mentor junior members and remain hands-on in delivering technical product solutions across a number of our projects including high-end manufacturing, technical and consumer products.
What you will be working on
Directly shaping the end product and the supply chain it exists within on behalf of our customers.
Working with key stakeholders in industry-leading businesses, you’ll have direct input to building the business, shaping the team and taking this where we want to go.
What you must bring
- 3+ years experience in a Design environment (perhaps another design agency, or an in-house Design Team).
- A good BA/BSc degree level in Industrial/Product Design.
- Experience taking a project from initial brief through to manufacture & delivering products to market (including tooling/factory support) with a broad range of prototyping and manufacturing methods eg, injection moulding, sheet metal, fabrication, CNC.
- A hands-on approach, confident with Solidworks and in the prototype workshop.
- Curiosity, a passion for design and creative problem-solving tools, comfortable working in a hybrid team of design & engineering.
- Solid design thinking, demonstrating high-level execution & versatility of skill-set.
- Excellent sketching and an eye for graphic design, with great attention to detail.
- Proficient communication and organisation skills to ensure all customers and suppliers are kept informed and part of the journey (Not afraid to pick up the phone).
- Dependable and self-motivated with a ‘can-do’ attitude who loves getting stuff done.
Software Knowledge Required
SolidWorks, Keyshot (or similar), Adobe Software,
Bonus Points For
- Insights, knowledge and applied practical experience working in responsible and sustainable design.
- Electronic Prototyping (Arduino, RaspberryPi, etc)
- Photography and video editing
- Experience in technical textiles products
- Understanding of simulation software
- Own transport (car)
- 25 Days Holiday (plus Bank Holidays)
- Pension Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
Meaningful Varied Projects – We work on some bonkers stuff, whether small or large, we’re always looking to create products that have a positive impact in the world.
Hybrid working – We are a collaborative studio and need someone based in the Bristol/Bath area to be part of the team and customer meetings (minimum 3 days a week in the studio), but work flexibly from home as and when needed/desired.
Work / Life Balance – Yes, there is sometimes a project that needs a push, but this is not the norm, we genuinely encourage people to leave on time and are proud to all have lots on outside of work. And we want it to stay that way!
Learning and Development – You will be integral to delivering your own projects, with a commitment from us to support your progression.
Fat Food Fridays – If you are in the office, then we do lunch together 😊
Being based in Bristol – the fastest growing tech centre in the UK, with hills and surf on the doorstep, Bristol offers all the benefits of London without the drawbacks, and the rocking rebellious South West attitude to boot!
Salary Range – £30,000 – £40,000
…Depending on where you are at in your career. We benchmark against the DBA Industry Standards, so if you can persuade us of the value to Realise’s future, we are all ears.
We also share bonuses when we do well, and so we welcome individuals who want to take the next step up or move sideways to gain new experience and help us succeed.
How to Apply:
Your portfolio (PDF) needs to demonstrate thoughtful design, supported by a solid approach/process. We’ll also want to see your range of skill-sets from early-stage to highly polished examples.
Please send your Covering Letter, CV and Portfolio to email@example.com – with the subject line: Mid to Senior Product Designer 2021